about the artist
As trees in a forest steadily evolve and age, affected by time and chance events, so do each one of us. I use the aging of trees as a metaphor to confront and understand how my life is changing, both physically and spiritually.
With the passage of time, the bark of the tree - its protective skin - sheds and peels away, exposing the inner layer of the trunk. In my studio, making art, I too discard layers of the past, old stories and outdated beliefs, to expose what is authentic and relevant to my life now.
By creating trees struck by fire, disease and violent weather, I acknowledge the unexpected, random, frightening aspects of later years.
Simultaneously, I am aware of the pace, style and joy of these years....... seeing so much beauty in my life and feeling free to express my own unique vision.
My greatest artistic joy is to transform fleece into material. My hands know what to do. I know what I want to say and I start making felt. The rest is unpredictable. As I cut, mold, shape, sew, build, embellish, assemble and stiffen the new fabric, something unforeseen emerges. Traditional carpentry tools, adhesives, drawings......... all work to help the central challenge ..... to transform the felt - a dense, flat, matte material - into an organic, dimensional, multi-textured sculpture.
I always work in a series, using some aspect of nature to examine a life issue that has deep meaning to me. Each series presents new challenges, and usually takes a few years to complete. Problem solving is key, so I constantly push myself to experiment, improvise, and invent creative solutions. I expand my fiber techniques and incorporate diverse materials such as wood, wire, metal, clay, and found natural objects. As a self-taught artist, I am proud of the creative solutions I have generated, which I openly share with my students.
Felt making and stitching are both slow, rhythmic, repetitive actions. Building solid armatures and working with power tools uses a contrasting set of skills and mindset. Varying these activities, by working on several sculptures at the same time, gives me a vital, balanced studio life.
Resume of recent work
2015 - 2017 Peters Valley School of Craft - Felting Workshops each summer
2000 - present: Ongoing workshops in Woodcliff Lake, NJ studio
SELECTED JURIED/ INVITATIONAL SHOWS
• 2017 Big Ideas in Small Packages, Blue Door Gallery, Yonkers, NY
2017 SPUN- a Juried Innovative Fiber Exhibit, NEST Arts Gallery, Bridgeport, CT
• 2016 37th Annual Juried Exhibition, Monmouth Museum, Monmouth, NJ
• 2016 Focus:Fiber 2016, Kent State University Museum, Kent, OH
• 2016 Viewpoints, Aljira Gallery, Newark, NJ (Honorable Mention Prize)
• 2016 Making Matters: Fresh Perpectives in Fine Craft, Peters Valley Gallery, Layton, NJ
• 2015 Velocity of Textiles, Chattahoochie Biennial, Georgia State University, GA
• 2015 Peters Valley School of Craft Gallery
• 2015 Viewpoints, Aljira Gallery, Newark, NJ
• 2014 NEXUS, Int. Juried Exhibition, Arts Guild of NJ, Rahway, NJ
• 2013 Dangerous Flowers, D & R Greenway Land Trust Gallery, Princeton, NJ
• 2012 9x9x3: Textile Study Group of NY, traveling exhibit, NYC
• 2012 Textures and Trails, D & R Greenway Land Trust Gallery, NJ
• 2012 Cambridge Art Annual, Cambridge, MA
• 2011 Craft USA ’11 National Craft Triennial, Silvermine Arts Center, CT, juried by Holly Hochner, Director of Museum of Arts and Design, NYC
• 2011 Uncommon Threads, Artworks Gallery, NJ
• 2011 Viewpoints, Aljira: A Center for Contemporary Art, NJ
• 2010 Botanica, The Hunterdon Art Museum, NJ, invited by curator Mary Birmingham
• 2009 Economies of Scale, Phoenix Gallery, NYC
• 2008 New Jersey Arts Annual: Crafts, New Jersey State Museum, NJ
• 2005 Invitational: How They Felt: Contemporary Feltmaking, Brookfield Craft Center, CT
• 2004 Into the Woods, Studio Montclair, NJ
• 2002 New Work, United Parcel Service Corporate Headquarters, NJ
• 2000 Entangled, Berrie Center for Performing and Visual Arts, Ramapo College of NJ
• 2000 to 2010: Weaveco Corporate Headquarters, New York, NY
3-4 PERSON SHOWS
• 2004 Terra Gnosis: Murmurs from the Earth, Lautenberg JCC, NJ
• 2003 Elements Unearthed: Four Sculptors, Pierro Gallery of South Orange, NJ
• 2003 Fiber Art, Diversity Art Gallery, NJ
• 2002 The Insomnia Show, Organization of Independent Artists, Inc., NYC